For the 4th year in a row, Sully's Brand owner Chris Wrenn's daughter Georgia of Georgia Made This returns to hide gold Salem coins featuring her artwork around the city, releasing clues on how to find them every Saturday and Sunday at noon via her Instagram page! In partnership with the Peabody Essex Museum, these 2022 gold coins are one of Salem's most exclusive collectibles and limited to only 13 minted. Bronze and nickel versions are also available for purchase (limited to 35 and 100 pieces respectively) so if you can't find a gold one, grab one of those HERE! This year her coin features The Friendship, the 18th century merchant ship that is docked at Derby Wharf in Salem.
Coin Hunt Schedule (Clues and where the coins were found are hyper-linked):
2. Sunday, October 2nd: FOUND! At Riley Plaza (the old site of the Boston and Maine railroad depot.
6. Sunday, October 16th: FOUND! At Fountain Place Restaurant, the current tenant in the building that once housed the W. & S. B. Ives company, a printer and board game manufacturer in Salem during the mid-1800's. Several of their titles were later re-issued by Parker Brothers who formed decades later in Salem.
7. Saturday, October 22nd: FOUND! At 31 Summer Street, where celebrated Federal-style architect Samuel McIntire’s home and workshop once stood. It was torn down in 1936 to make way for the Holyoke Insurance building. Samuel lived and died in modest means, but helped design Salem’s most beautiful homes, many of which still stand blocks away in the McIntire District named in his honor.
8. Sunday, October 23rd: FOUND! At the gravesite of Elizabeth “Eliza” Palmer Peabody, the wife of a dentist and mother of Elizabeth Peabody (1804-1894) who was a writer, publisher, a prominent figure in the Transcendentalist movement and the founder of the first public kindergarten in the United States.
10. Sunday, October 30th: FOUND! At the granite circa 1841 courthouse on Federal Street. This courthouse was designed by architect Richard Bonds, who also designed the nearby Tabernacle Congregational Church, and Salem’s current city hall building.
11. Monday, October 31st: FOUND! At Ten Federal Street, which stands on the property once held by the "Old Witch Gaol" aka the dungeon where those accused of witchcraft awaited trial. The dungeon was closed in 1813 when the larger granite jail was built around the corner from it, and a home was built on the site decades later. That home was torn down in 1956 to make way for New England Telephone, who built the modern office building that still stands on the property.